Here you will learn how to create your own skincare routine that aligns with your skin type. You will also learn the basic steps of a good skincare routine for your skin type.
- What are the skin types?
- How to determine your skin type?
- Basics of skincare
- Skincare routine for a specific skin type
Youth is fleeting, and this is an unconditional natural process of age-related changes in your body. However, if something in nature cannot be prevented, then it can be slowed down.
By starting to monitor the condition of your skin from a young age and caring for it according to its type and needs, you will prevent premature aging of cells and prolong the beauty and freshness of the image.
In order to correctly select a proper corrective facial treatment, it is necessary to be guided by the type and needs of your skin. A wrong beauty routine can harm the condition of the epidermis, provoke excessive production of sebum, cause irritation, dryness, and discomfort.
All information from this free guide is provided for informational purposes only. It is not intended for self-diagnosis and self-medication and cannot be considered as as a substitute to a consultation with a healthcare professional. If you have severe skin problems, you need to contact a dermatologist who will conduct an examination and prescribe a treatment for you.
WHAT ARE THE SKIN TYPES?
Dermatologists distinguish the following skin types:
- OILY (or problematic)
- DRY (or sensitive)
- COMBINATION (or mixed)
HOW TO DETERMINE YOUR SKIN TYPE?
How would you determine your skin type yourself? The best way is to ask your dermatologist or cosmetologist. You can also check the condition of your epidermis at home with these simple tests.
You can visually determine your skin type as follows:
- If there are no visible imperfections on the skin of your face, the color or your skin is healthy and uniform, the skin is smooth (without roughness), matte, and without oily sheen, then the chances are that you have a normal skin type.
- If the skin of your face is thin, the pores are almost invisible, rashes appear rarely, then you have a dry type with a predisposition to hypersensitivity. The main characteristics of this type of skin are dryness, a feeling of discomfort and tightness, peeling. Also, the dry skin type is the most prone to premature aging and the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines due to dehydration.
- If there is an excessive oily sheen and rashes on your face (acne, post-acne), then you have an oily skin type. This type is characterized by uneven texture and an earthy complexion. If the above-mentioned skin conditions are typical for the T-zone only (chin, forehead, nose), but cheeks remain matte and without rashes, then you have a combination type.
BONUS: How to visually determine your skin type with a napkin?
- To determine your skin type, wash your face with your usual cleanser. After washing, do not use additional nourishing and/or moisturizing products.
- 30 minutes later, when the sebaceous glands begin to produce sebum, apply a dry or matting napkin to your face for 20 seconds.
- Look at the napkin to note the following:
- If there is a noticeable oily mark in the T-zone, the skin is a combination type.
- A greasy mark on all parts of the face indicates an oily type of your skin.
- Barely noticeable marks on the napkin indicate a normal type of your skin.
- If there are no marks at all, then you are the owner of a dry skin type.
BASICS OF SKINCARE
Choosing the right skincare routine is the main reason why you need to know your skin type. Even though each of them requires an individual approach and the choice of suitable cosmetics, there are basic steps of a beauty routine that are relevant for everyone.
CLEANSING is the first and foremost step in any type of skin care. Through facial cleansing you delicately remove makeup residues, dust, sebum, and sweat. You should also regularly do a deep skin cleansing (exfoliation) with scrubs, peeling solutions (according to your skin type) to exfoliate dead skin cells of the epidermis.
TONING is the final stage of cleansing. The toner restores skin’s normal pH level and facilitates better penetration of the active ingredients of your skin cream into the deeper layers of the dermis.
MOISTURIZING is necessary for all skin types without exception. It is a must do skincare step on a regular basis. High-quality hydration promotes softness, elasticity and increases the protection of the epidermis. Which ultimately prevents early signs of aging.
NUTRITION is responsible for protecting the skin and strengthening its hydrolipidic mantle. Proper nutrition contributes to a higher resistance of the epidermis to external negative factors. There are different types and nutritional formulas for different skin types.
SUNSCREEN is also essential for all skin types regardless of the season. UV rays are one of the main damaging factors. Due to the UV rays, your body triggers several reactions designed to protect your skin. Even in the cold season, UV radiation has a negative effect on the epidermis and contributes to its accelerated aging.
SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR A SPECIFIC SKIN TYPE
- OILY SKIN TYPE
The main objective of a skincare routine for oily skin is actually not to turn into a problematic skin type. The oily skin type needs high-quality cleansing twice a day. You should use matting, anti-inflammatory and healing products on a regular basis. Choose non-comedogenic skincare solutions that are free from alcohol and excessive oils. Exfoliating products should be mild: scrubs or peels with finest particles.
- DRY SKIN TYPE
- COMBINATION SKIN TYPE
- NORMAL SKIN TYPE
The normal skin type needs regular basic care to maintain its beauty and health. Which will ultimately protect you against premature aging. Normal skin rarely changes or gets worse. So, the main objective is to prevent your skin from becoming sensitive or dry.
Caring for your skin is not always the main priority when you are living a busy life. Your skin is the largest organ of your body and needs to be cared for to look and feel its best. You can create a basic skincare regime based on three actions: cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. There are more options to consider, but these three will form the basis of your routine.
Beauty and skin experts agree we often make our beauty routines too complicated too quickly. Simplicity is your friend when you are starting your beauty routine, with a few simple steps acting as the base of your actions. The best advice is to start with simple steps and build on those regularly. Once you have become accustomed to the simple techniques you are using, you can begin to add new products to your routine.
There are four types of skin, according to leading dermatologists: oily, dry, combination, and normal. By identifying your skin type, you will be able to target the products that will work for you. Using the incorrect product type will leave you with skin that becomes too oily or dry to look as impressive as possible. We hope that this guide will help you develop the best skincare routine for your skin type. We encourage you to visit our website at www.kristinarostrom.com for more tips and skincare products selection.